How to Read a Grinding Wheel Label
Below is an example of a label that is found on United Abrasive grinding wheels with all pertinent information a user needs to operate the wheel.
- This is the marking system used to identify wheel type.
- “A” – primary grain used to make the wheel, A= Aluminum Oxide
- “24” – size of the abrasive grain
- “R”- hardness of the bond, R is medium
- “BF”- type of bond used, BF is Resinoid Reinforced
- “General Purpose Grinding On All Ferrous Metal”
- This is a general description of the wheel.
- “4-1/2 x 1/4”
- This is simply the size of the wheel in inches.
- “4-1/2” is the diameter
- “1/4” is the thickness of the grinding wheel.
- Type 27- wheel configuration
- 7/8 – arbor size
- #20063- part number
- Grind- short application description
- Each wheel will display a tool icon for easy selection
- 13,300- Maximum RPM
Bar code and Safety Information is included on every wheel in the lower left hand corner.